Yesterday I set sail northward along Interstate 95, a solo work-related voyage...Washington DC to Philadelphia, and back--approximately 280 miles. I dislike this drive and recall previous expeditions... apparitions of troopers and toll bandits, truckers and trussels...littered along the see-way.
Usually, I insulate myself form the asphalt with layers of playlists...revving the iPod through the car stereo. This trip was different. Infused by a bit of post-structuralist imagination, I was inspired to repel the monotony. After reconnecting with Jean Baudrillard and his description of America, I reveled in his assessment: "Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated." Driving the fine line was an adventure. I brought the camera in an effort to abate the amnesia and document (re)discoveries...obliterating the mundane.
If you want to slide into the passenger's seat...click here.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This blog is...
...a space for focusing and commenting on images, for ranting in the lexicon of pictures, for exploring the dissonance and/or consonance between words and digital hieroglyphs...an aperture into the marginalia of the everyday or the unusual.
Feel free to cast your own impression and post a comment, or remain underexposed, and lurk in the darkroom.
Feel free to cast your own impression and post a comment, or remain underexposed, and lurk in the darkroom.
About Me
- (Ken)
- I am an anthropologist by training. I can daydream in a few languages, and enjoy finding hints of the exotic in the everyday.
2 comments:
i love the tunnel pics. havre de grace? is that close to aberdeen?? remember i was stationed there???
Yep...Havre de Grace. I always feel like I'm going to crash as I stare over the barriers onto the Chesapeake. I forgot you were at Aberdeen Proving Grounds! I hope it triggered fond memories. BTW the tunnel pics are my favorite too. Risky photo-antics... but nice result. :)
Post a Comment