Saturday, April 25, 2009

Papa Please...

Friday afternoon she called me while I was driving home in the evening. "Papa can you please take me and a friend to see a movie? We want to see 17 Again. Can you take us on Saturday? I'm having a sleepover tonight. OK. Bye. Love you," Gabriela gabbled.

This morning I dutiful played the role of the doting father, with little resistance and much anguish. The moment they bounced into the car with their colorful socks, and charismatic smiles, I softened up a bit. Their enthusiasm infiltrated my sense of skepticism and disarmed me. Pink hosiery. Multi-colored athletic shoes. Polka dots. Figures and hues masterfully deployed by an exuberant young tween. So, off we went to the Tyson's Corner Mall this morning. Arriving at 10:45 am, parking was not a problem. We even had time for a few photo ops before the movie.

Dangling legs added a bit of color to whitewashed concrete.

The girls eyed the latest fashions and played around with the pink poseurs.

Before heading into the movie theater, they found time to create a few still frames of their own.

When the final credits scrolled along the screen, I eagerly reaccessed. The movie was actually enjoyable and this morning had been an unexpected opportunity to just be...a dad.

3 comments:

Motownrunner said...

What do you mean "just" a dad??? Me encantan las fotos como de costumbre.

amalia said...

You are the COOLEST dad!!!!

Aida Rita said...

You are too cool ! You also took them to Tysons ... the best !!

This blog is...

...a space for focusing and commenting on images, for ranting in the lexicon of pictures, for exploring the dissonance and/or consonance between words and digital hieroglyphs...an aperture into the marginalia of the everyday or the unusual.

Feel free to cast your own impression and post a comment, or remain underexposed, and lurk in the darkroom.

About Me

My photo
I am an anthropologist by training. I can daydream in a few languages, and enjoy finding hints of the exotic in the everyday.

Others' eccentricities...

photo(trope)ists...

Eye on the World

Click to leave a comment via GoogleVoice(mail)...