Thursday, June 26, 2008

Driving Dissolve...

Yesterday I set sail northward along Interstate 95, a solo work-related voyage...Washington DC to Philadelphia, and back--approximately 280 miles. I dislike this drive and recall previous expeditions... apparitions of troopers and toll bandits, truckers and trussels...littered along the see-way.

Usually, I insulate myself form the asphalt with layers of playlists...revving the iPod through the car stereo. This trip was different. Infused by a bit of post-structuralist imagination, I was inspired to repel the monotony. After reconnecting with Jean Baudrillard and his description of America, I reveled in his assessment: "
Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated." Driving the fine line was an adventure. I brought the camera in an effort to abate the amnesia and document (re)discoveries...obliterating the mundane.

If you want to slide into the passenger's seat...click here.

2 comments:

Motownrunner said...

i love the tunnel pics. havre de grace? is that close to aberdeen?? remember i was stationed there???

(Ken) said...

Yep...Havre de Grace. I always feel like I'm going to crash as I stare over the barriers onto the Chesapeake. I forgot you were at Aberdeen Proving Grounds! I hope it triggered fond memories. BTW the tunnel pics are my favorite too. Risky photo-antics... but nice result. :)

This blog is...

...a space for focusing and commenting on images, for ranting in the lexicon of pictures, for exploring the dissonance and/or consonance between words and digital hieroglyphs...an aperture into the marginalia of the everyday or the unusual.

Feel free to cast your own impression and post a comment, or remain underexposed, and lurk in the darkroom.

About Me

My photo
I am an anthropologist by training. I can daydream in a few languages, and enjoy finding hints of the exotic in the everyday.

Others' eccentricities...

photo(trope)ists...

Eye on the World

Click to leave a comment via GoogleVoice(mail)...