Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mojito Mojo

Taking a cue from my cousin in California, I decided to summon the island flavors...un hechizo con o sin permiso. A few friends came over and the pestle pressed...lime, against mint, against sugar, and produced an aromatic medley of granulated squishes and citric squirts. Crushed ice cubes and cascades of DonQ Cristal, ended the evocation.
I stirred the fluorescent straw...my mind meandering a bit, to Macbeth. Double, Double, Toil and Trouble, Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble. I smiled...a bit of the Bard to banish this upcoming week's bureaucratic banalities. But, I needed something less bewitching. So my mind drifted from the stirring itself to the currents of rum, the whirlpools of mint, and the reefs of lime...dissolving myself slowly, into a better outlook, swaying with the undertow of an emergent optimism.
In the end, we all laughed, and talked for hours. Picaresque pleasantries of a sort, our banter played Sancho Panza to the dwindling amounts of DonQ. Tomorrow, most of us begin our weekly toils and troubles. Some of us may even be tempted to tilt at a few windmills.... Cheers to you and your mojo, however it may be invoked.

7 comments:

Motownrunner said...

YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That looks yummy...you should try Joanne's mojo..it is to die for....un beso...amalia

(Ken) said...

So, is Joanne willing to share her secret recipe? Maybe we all plan a trip to visit her?

Aida Rita said...

Those look good !! Joanne needs to give us her secret.

Unknown said...

If I give you my secret I might have to kill you. Only if you come to visit...maybe...
Un abrazo,
Joanne

(Ken) said...

I am trying to think back to the last time we saw each other, and am embarassed to say that it has been more than two decades. Ridiculous! If a mojito wasn't tempting enough. A visit...hmmmm. I'm tempted!

Willow said...

Lovely Mojito story, thank you!

This blog is...

...a space for focusing and commenting on images, for ranting in the lexicon of pictures, for exploring the dissonance and/or consonance between words and digital hieroglyphs...an aperture into the marginalia of the everyday or the unusual.

Feel free to cast your own impression and post a comment, or remain underexposed, and lurk in the darkroom.

About Me

My photo
I am an anthropologist by training. I can daydream in a few languages, and enjoy finding hints of the exotic in the everyday.

Others' eccentricities...

photo(trope)ists...

Eye on the World

Click to leave a comment via GoogleVoice(mail)...