Sunday, October 5, 2008

Kültür Karavan...

This weekend accelerated past me, reminding me of science fiction warp drives, and Star Trek reruns. My only image of stability reflected in a side-view mirror. I did, however, find some firm footing...
...walking around at this weekend's Turkish Festival. (Eighteen years ago, I spent months studying the Turkish language, and then a few weeks in Istanbul.) As we walked today, the crowd in DC saturated my senses with familiar phrases, idioms, compliments, curses, and proverbs, while the Anatolian aromas and Azeri artisans contrasted and cavorted with the Istanbul chic.

Aside from the faceless fez, we saw Fenerbahçe jerseys and Puma footwear competing for attention amid the headscarves. And once in a while, I spotted reconciliatory fashion statements swimming within the stream of modern and traditional currents.

I taught Gabriela and Ari a few phrases in Türkçe and they artfully deployed them, earning smiles from the vendors, artists, dancers and passersby. All three of us marveled and mingled.

If you prefer to savor these Turkish delights at your own pace, click here.

1 comments:

Motownrunner said...

merhaba!!! i loved your slideshow. very cool.

This blog is...

...a space for focusing and commenting on images, for ranting in the lexicon of pictures, for exploring the dissonance and/or consonance between words and digital hieroglyphs...an aperture into the marginalia of the everyday or the unusual.

Feel free to cast your own impression and post a comment, or remain underexposed, and lurk in the darkroom.

About Me

My photo
I am an anthropologist by training. I can daydream in a few languages, and enjoy finding hints of the exotic in the everyday.

Others' eccentricities...

photo(trope)ists...

Eye on the World

Click to leave a comment via GoogleVoice(mail)...