Friday, July 31, 2009

Setting Sail...

(Ari soaks in one last Sicilian sunset in Marzamemi.)

Tomorrow we leave Sicily and the Mediterranean cousins, and will track north to Bavaria. Tonight's farewells were full of tears for some. The last few days we have meandered through a few notable cities in the southeastern corner of the island.

I wish that I could do more than share images. I wish you could hear the guttural melodies of the local dialect, taste the culinary delights...as complex as the history layered about the land, breath in the aromas of sea salts, sand and wild sage, but I leave you with some of my favorite impressions...



If you want to share in our nostalgic farewell at your own pace, click here.

4 comments:

Edgar said...

Dude, awesome pictures, you are making me want to take a trip over there. One of my best friend's husband in St. Louis is from Sicily (his family is anyway) and they go every year but I had never seen pictures like this. They are Faraci.

(Ken) said...

Muchacho, I highly recommend a trip to Sicily! What side of the island or from what town is your best friend's husband from...? I still haven't been to Palermo, but have explored quite a bit. August is not the best time to go...very hot, really hot, and too many Italian tourists from the north of Italy on vacation.

Aida Rita said...

Like always, amazing pictures. When the kids are older we will have to plan some sort of trip like this. For now we go where the babysitters (aka grandparents) are :).

Dawn S. said...

Daniella suggested I check out your blog to see the pictures from Sicily ... breathtaking. Now I really want to go!

This blog is...

...a space for focusing and commenting on images, for ranting in the lexicon of pictures, for exploring the dissonance and/or consonance between words and digital hieroglyphs...an aperture into the marginalia of the everyday or the unusual.

Feel free to cast your own impression and post a comment, or remain underexposed, and lurk in the darkroom.

About Me

My photo
I am an anthropologist by training. I can daydream in a few languages, and enjoy finding hints of the exotic in the everyday.

Others' eccentricities...

photo(trope)ists...

Eye on the World

Click to leave a comment via GoogleVoice(mail)...